Nomination Deadline: November 1st
The Harland Bartholomew Award was established by the former Urban Planning and Development Division of the Society (now the Transportation & Development Institute) in recognition of the outstanding professional accomplishments of Harland Bartholomew, Hon.M.ASCE. It was instituted by the Board of Direction in 1968.
The award is made to the person who is judged worthy of special commendation for contributions to the enhancement of the role of the civil engineer in urban planning and development. The contribution may be in the form of a paper published by the Society or personal efforts and achievements toward that goal.
- 2020: Constantine Samaras, Ph.D., A.M.ASCE
- Only Society Fellows, Members, and Associate Members in good standing at the time of nomination are eligible.
- The Awards Committee of T&DI reviews nominations presented by the Honors and Awards program and recommends to the Board of Governors of T&DI the recipient, if any, for final action by the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction.
- Nominees not selected in a given year may be held over for consideration by the Awards Committee of T&DI, with approval from the Board of Governors of T&DI. The names of these nominees will be conveyed to the Honors and Awards program office.
- The award consists of a plaque and a cash prize determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction, based on income from the award endowment.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form (PDF)
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation (max)
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191