Nomination Deadline: November 1st
This award was established by the Engineering Mechanics Institute and Structural Engineering Institute to honor Nathan M. Newmark, Hon.M.ASCE, for his outstanding contributions in structural engineering and mechanics. The funds for the award were contributed by the honoree's former students in appreciation of the quality of education they received under this guidance at the University of Illinois. The medal was officially instituted by action of the Board of Direction on November 1-2, 1975.
- 2021: Ahsan Kareem, Ph.D., F.EMI, Dist.M.ASCE, NAE
- Candidates must be ASCE members in good standing at the time of nomination.
- Award recipients are nominated for the ASCE Executive Committee approval by the Award Selection Committee composed of the 3 most recently retired Presidents of the Engineering Mechanics Institute and the three most recently retired chairs of the Structural Engineering Institute Executive Committee. The chair of the Award Selection Committee alternates annually between the representatives of the 2 entities having the longest tenure on the Award Selection Committee.
- Nominees not selected in a given year will be held over for consideration through the next selection cycle. At the end of the second cycle, nominees not chosen will no longer be eligible for consideration. Nominators who wish for their candidate to be considered for another two-cycle period must produce a new nomination package.
- Not more than 1 award of the prize is made each year unless the achievement upon which the award is based is considered to be the contribution of more than 1 individual, such as joint authorship of a paper. In such cases duplicate or multiple prizes are tendered only if the balance then available in the award fund is adequate for the purpose.
- The award consists of a gold medal. If the award is presented for a joint effort, the lead recipient shall receive the medal. Award recipients who are not the lead recipient shall receive only a certificate.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation (max)
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191