Nomination Deadline: May 1st
Richard H. Nettleton was a Design and Construction Engineer who worked for the Virginia Beach Public Utilities Department. Tragically, he was also the victim of a mass shooting on May 31, 2019. Rich enjoyed mentoring the younger engineers that worked for him in his department and the students at Old Dominion University (ODU). He served for 15 years as the Practitioner Advisor at ODU, providing guidance and mentorship to the next generation of engineers.
After the events of May 31, the ODU ASCE student chapter leadership wanted to make a difference in the healing of the engineering community and efforts to remember the victims. With the backing of the Norfolk Branch, the Virginia Section and Region 4, the Old Dominion ASCE Student Chapter put forth a resolution to rename the Committee of Student Members Outstanding Practitioner Advisor Award after Richard Nettleton. Richard’s dedication to ASCE and the students of Old Dominion University sets a standard of excellence for all practitioner advisors to strive for.
Richard H. Nettleton outstanding practitioner awards are given each year by The Committee on Student Members to practitioner advisors who have demonstrated outstanding leadership and support to their ASCE Student Chapter.
- Adam DePizzo, Youngstown State University
- Sam Potts, P.E., M.ASCE, California State University, Northridge
- Advisor must be an ASCE member in good standing at the time of application.
- Advisor must be serving as a Practitioner Advisor with an established ASCE Student Chapter at the time of nomination.
- Advisor must have demonstrated outstanding dedication and commitment to ASCE student members and emphasized the value of ASCE involvement during college and after graduation.
- Nomination may come from another Faculty Advisor, a Practitioner Advisor, Department Head, Section/Branch Officer, or student chapter member.
- More than 1 advisor may be nominated from a student chapter.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A completed submission will consist of a single .pdf file containing a completed nomination form (PDF).
- A personal statement from a student or other advisor.
The name of the file shall follow this format:
(PA) - Last Name of Nominee - Name of University.pdf
Send submissions to [email protected] no later than 5 p.m. EDT, May 1.